More About Transferring that Fat
- Posted on: Apr 30 2021
Fat is good when you’re cooking, as it usually provides the flavor that makes your recipe more like something you’d see on Food Network and less from the Hamburger Helper aisle at Smith’s. But on our figures, fat can be the enemy. It tends to accumulate in some locations, such as the lower abdomen, where it is almost impossible to get rid of with changes in diet and exercise.
That’s the beauty of breast augmentation through fat transfer with Dr. Yates. You get to lose the fat from an unsightly spot and move it where its presence is actually appreciated, the breasts.
We talked about this all-natural procedure in this months first blog. In this second blog, let’s compare augmentation methods — fat transfer versus implants.
How does fat transfer to the breasts compare to augmentation with implants?
Dr. Yates’s patients are excited by the prospect of enlarging their breasts without the use of breast implants. They like the idea of using their own body fat rather than a manufactured implant to increase their breast size.
So how do they compare?
- No danger of capsular contraction — The main complication of breast implants is capsular contracture, where scar tissue forms around the implant and constricts it. This is not possible with fat transfer.
- No possible rippling — Implants placed above the pectoral muscle, particularly saline implants, can develop wrinkling that is visible on the breast surface. This is not possible with fat transfer.
- No revision surgery — Breast implants have a lifespan, just like any manufactured item. They will need to be replaced every 10 years or so. Fat transfer is permanent, although not all of the transferred fat will “take.”
- No surgical scars — Implants are inserted through a surgical incision. If the incision is made along the breast crease, the scar will be visible. Fat transfers are done with a syringe and this does not leave scars.
- Lose unwanted fat — Because fat transfer utilizes liposuction to remove fat from areas such as the lower abdomen or the flanks, the breast increase is accompanied by body contouring. This does not happen with implant augmentation.
- Cannot make large changes — If you desire to change your breast size more dramatically, you cannot do this with fat transfer. Fat transfer can give you moderate size change, usually 1 to 2 cup sizes.
- Not sure of your final results — With breast implants, you know exactly how your breasts will change. With fat transfer, not all of the injected fat cells will acquire a blood supply and “take.” This may require a second procedure to even out your results.
- Cannot add as much upper volume — Some patients want to add a large volume to their upper breasts. This is really not possible with fat transfer.
If you’d like to augment your breasts by one or two cup sizes maybe 2021 is the time to do it with Dr. Yates through fat transfer. Call us at (801) 938-7869 to schedule a consultation.