There is an alarming fad of people rushing out of the United States for plastic surgery. The fees are a little less and some people can pay for their trip with their savings on the procedure. In my opinion, safety should never be compromised for cost savings. A few things to consider:
- The regulations are not as strict. Sterility, operating room standards, postoperative protocols.
- You will likely have (or be able to afford) scheduled follow-up visits. These are often important to address early problems before they become big problems.
- If you do not speak the language, you may not be able to convey your goals and vice-versa.
- If there are problems. You may be stuck in a foreign hospital. R&B star Usher and his wife know this all too well after a recent complication with liposuction left her in a Brazilian hospital for 11 days. Fortunately, she made it back to the states. Some are not so lucky.
- There are unique bacteria and viruses in foreign countries that Americans can be particularly susceptible
- Legally, you may have no recourse if there is a problem and the costs for revision surgery can be staggering.
- It will be difficult to find a plastic surgeon who would want to inherit your complications
- Although there are many excellent foreign plastic surgeons, the standard of training is not the same as it is in the U.S. and you may have an inferior surgeon performing the surgery.
- The cost savings are not significant enough to warrant these risks!!!