The circumstances of Michael Jackson’s death are not entirely known. One of the possible causes has been speculated as Diprivan overdose. Diprivan (Propofol) is a powerful anesthetic that is used by anesthesiologists for anesthesia during operative procedures. It is referred to as “milk of amnesia”. With proper monitoring and administration by an anesthesiologist, this is a very safe medication. In fact, it is one of the medications that I use most frequently for cosmetic surgery in my office operating room.
I find it quite peculiar that Michael Jackson may have overdosed on Diprivan. There is very little “high” or euphoria associated with this medication. Most patients wake up feeling well rested and relaxed initially but nearly all of its effect wears off rapidly. I have never heard of the medication being used as a drug of abuse.